Earlier this year, I wrote a blog post about how to monitor your VMware environment. The solution that Veeam has come up with consists of three components; the Enterprise Manager, an Enterprise Manager User Interface and a collector. The solution, which I wrote about here were based on version 5.7 of the Veeam MP.
A couple of weeks ago, Veeam launched their latest updated release of the MP version 6.0. In this release, the solution has been almost completely rebuilt and there are really a lot of news. Below, i will go through some of the news in this release and why you should implement this in your environment.
• Storage topology: Maps virtual machines (VMs) to the storage where they run. You can dive into real-time dashboards and monitor key metrics on latency, provisioning and utilization.
• Network topology: Maps VMs to the software-defined network components. Allows you to view per-switch usage and packet analysis. Veeam MP v6.0 fully supports Distributed Virtual Switches, including the Cisco Nexus 1000V.
• Compute topology: Allows you to view hosts, their physical hardware, the logical hypervisor components and the VMs they are running.
Veeam MP v6.0 has over 30 new dashboard views that leverage the new System Center 2012 Operations Manager dashboard widgets, giving you real-time performance views for your critical vSphere systems. You can view on-demand, in-context dashboards, such as the ‘Top 10 hosts for CPU’ per-cluster and ‘Top 10 VMs for Disk I/O’ per datastore.
New platform support
• VMware vSphere 5.1
• Microsoft Windows Server 2012
• Microsoft System Center 2012 SP1
Look into more of the news at Veeams website here.
Right now, Veeam runs a campaign where you, if your a new customer can receive a free licence. This license covers up to 10 CPUs and spans over a year (after that first year, you’ll have to pay for support). If your running 5 dual CPU hosts, this licence will cover your needs. Read more about this offer here.
If you have any questions, leave a comment and i will answer as soon as possible. I have tried this new MP both internally and at customer sites so just leave a footprint if you’r wondering about anything.